Back to Section
The spread of COVID-19 fraud and scams can be as deadly as the virus itself. This PowerPoint presentation offers tips to spot and stop COVID-19 fraud.
COVID-19 Medicare Coverage
- Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers COVID-19 tests when ordered by your doctor or health care provider on or after February 4, 2020.
- Medicare covers all medically necessary hospitalizations, including extra days in the hospital for patients who had to stay longer under COVID-19 quarantine.
- There is no vaccine for COVID-19 at this time; however, if one becomes available, Medicare will cover it.
- Medicare also recently expanded coverage of telehealth services to enable beneficiaries to access a wider range of services from their providers without having to travel to a facility.
- This includes access to doctors, nurse practitioners, clinical psychologists, and licensed clinical social workers.
- During this emergency, there are also more options for the ways your providers can talk with you under this provision.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
- For Medicare coverage questions, contact your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at:
- SHIPTAcenter.org or 1-877-839-2675.
Texas Senior Medicare Patrol (TXSMP)
- TXSMP is ready to provide you with the information you need to PROTECT yourself from Medicare fraud, errors, and abuse; DETECT potential fraud, errors, and abuse; and REPORT your concerns.
- SMPs and their trained volunteers help educate and empower Medicare beneficiaries in the fight against health care fraud.
- Your SMP can help with your questions, concerns, or complaints about potential fraud and abuse issues. It also can provide information and educational presentations.
- Texas Senior Medicare Patrol 1-888-341-6187
View the rest of the presentation below.