Do all entrances to your home have outdoor lights? Are exterior walkways free from cracks and holes? Are all exterior stairs and ramps slip-resistant?
Front and Back Entrances:
- Do all entrances to your home have outdoor lights?
- Are exterior walkways free from cracks and holes?
- Are all exterior stairs and ramps slip-resistant?
- Are handrails easy to reach?
- Is your house number visible to see from the street for first responders?
- Is the peephole at a proper height for all residents?
- Is the doorbell in an accessible location?
- Is there a surface on which to place packages while opening the front or back door?
- Do all exterior doors have secure easy-to-use locks, bolts and knobs?
Throughout the Home:
- Are light switches located near each entrance to each hallway and room (including closets)?
- Are lamp, extension or phone cords out of the flow of foot traffic?
- Are hallways free from objects and clutter (paper, furniture)?
- Are curtains and furniture at least 36 inches from baseboard heaters or portable heaters?
- Do the carpets lie flat (no bumps under the carpet)?
- Do the small rugs and runners stay put (don’t slide or roll up) when you push them with your foot?
- Are there working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors near the entrance of every bedroom, on each floor level, the top of the stairs, and the garage?
- Are thermostats easy to locate and read?
- Are windows and safety locks easy to operate?
- Do all interior doors have easy-to-use knobs?
- Is a light left on at night between the bedroom and the toilet?
- Is there a phone within easy reach of the bed ordo you carry a cell phone with you?
- Does the shower or tub have a non-skid surface, such as a mat, decals, or abrasive strips?
- Are wall grab-bars of appropriate height and located in tub/shower/toilet areas (not just a towel rack)?
- Does the floor have a non-slip-non-glare surface or do your rugs have a non-skid backing?
- Are you able to get on and off the toilet easily?
Kitchen and Laundry:
- Are the dishwasher, microwave, stove/oven, washer, and dryer controls easy to see and use?
- Are towels and curtains kept away from the burners and oven?
- Are appliances, cabinets, drawers, and regularly used items easy to reach without climbing a step stool or bending over?
- Are knobs/pulls easy to use to open and close appliances, cabinets, and drawers?
- Is there enough space to maneuver around the counters and island (30 inch by 48 inch of clear space)?
- Are countertops free of clutter?
- Is there a light switch at both the top and bottom of the stairs?
- With the light on, can you clearly see the outline of each step as you go up and down the stairs?
- Do all stairways have sturdy handrails on both sides?
- Do handrails run the full length of the stairs or slightly beyond the steps?
- Are all steps in good repair (not loose, broken, missing or worn in places?
- Are stair coverings (rugs, treads) in good repair, without holes and not loose, torn, or worn?
- Do you have an emergency exit plan in case of disaster?
- Do you have emergency phone numbers listed by your home phone, in your wallet, or in your cell phone?
- Are there other hazards or unsafe areas in the home that are not mentioned in this checklist that you are concerned about?
Download the printable checklist below.