The added stress, lack of access to basic items and respite make the caregiver role even more difficult during this time. To help caregivers cope, here are a few holistic approaches to sustain your well-being and that of your care recipient in a light-hearted environment.
- Mental: Responding to the ups and downs of life
- Enjoy music
- Read for pleasure
- Draw or color
- Take breaks and relax
- Physical: Focus on care for your body with daily activities like
- Chair exercise
- Step challenges
- Range of motion activities and stretching
- Eat fruit and veggies
- Weightlift with cans/water bottles
- Drink fluids
- Engage an online fitness video
- Social: Interactions with your community/support system
- Connect with Friends and Family via platform of your choice-Facetime, Skype, Whats App etc, group chats, or telephone
- Play games, turn off the tv and talk, virtual support
- Watch a movie, look at photos, bake/cook together,
- Online museum tours
- Emotional: Identify and operate on your strengths
- Manage Feelings
- Speak positive thoughts
- Structure your day and write out the pros and cons of your day
- Plan for tomorrow
- Find the silver lining
- Spiritual: Connection for purpose, harmony and meaning in life
- Use essential oils
- Watch/listen to a live stream of a religious service or read a holy book
According to a study conducted by the AARP, an estimated 34.2 million Americans have provided unpaid care to an adult age 50 or older in the last 12 month. As the needs of each older adult are so varied, so are the supportive services offered by the Caregiver Support Program at The Senior Source.
The Caregiver Support Program provides information and resources in the areas of in-home services, support groups, moving an elderly parent locally from another state or city, hospice, housing (including independent living, assisted living and nursing facilities), transportation resources, housekeeping services, legal services, end of life planning, and mental health services.
Call us to learn more about the program and how our team can support you in your caregiving journey.